Travelling as we all know is an irreplaceable experience, and definitely is a huge part of everybody’s lives. In the recent dire situations caused by outbreak of the Covid-19 Corona-virus Pandemic, we are surrounded by the sad uncertainty while questioning about travel safety and its future possibilities.
Since, work-from-home has become so popular, why not we think of travelling from home too! In this post, we are giving you the best ways you can travel from home in this corona-virus pandemic.
Agreeably, it is difficult for travel nomads and enthusiasts to go without any kind of travel and without any future trips booked. I for instance always love having any kind of trip planned even if it’s a small weekend getaway.
But now that we are temporarily grounded, we can still find ways to travel the world by seeking solace in the wondrous miracles of the internet.
Virtually we can pretty much experience everything possible – right from various museums, to national parks or any distant country on your bucket list. And even better, it comes with the added bonus of not having to deal with fellow tourists or wait in lines anywhere!
The best ways to travel from home in Corona-virus pandemic
1. Take Virtual Tours
There are various places that you can experience visiting virtually. Ranging from museums, national parks, historic buildings to world heritage sites.
Following are some of the best options:
New Seven Wonders of the World: Visit the majestic sites that are the Wonders of the World to mesmerizing experience. Popularly known as the “New Seven Wonders of World”, these were chosen in 2007 through an online competition world-wide.
The Vatican being one of the historically important and significant places, can also be traveled too virtually.
There are various museums that you can experience virtually. You can travel to their exhibition galleries, its rooms along with experience the architecture.
Following are some you must checkout:
- Get the best experiences offered by Google in their Arts and Culture thread.
- The Louvre, Paris
- The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- Visit some of the best Indian Museums.
Visit some of the best national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and zoo’s virtually.
- Travel to the infamous Yosemite National Park and Yellowstone National Park in USA.
- You can travel to some of the best of Indian wildlife destinations too.
2. Watch travel shows & documentaries
Another best way you can travel from home is through watching various travel shows and documentaries. This way we can travel to all the places we wish to visit from the comfort of our homes. I for once really love watching travel shows that depict a place in a very realistic and elaborate way.
Apart from travel shows, there’s something really interesting about in-depth travel documentaries on selected topics. Travel documentaries, in an unadulterated way showcase the chronicles of many travelers. Whether planned or unplanned, they can give you the inspiration for your next travel along with acting as a fodder for your travel famished soul.
Here are some of the best and most loved travel shows that you can watch:
- Shows by Anthony Bourdain (Parts Unknown, No Reservations, A Cook’s Tour & The Layover)
- Departures – with Scott Wilson and Justin Lukach
- Tales by Light, an Australian travel series following two photographers.
- Somebody Feed Phil, which is ann American television travel documentary presented by Phillip Rosenthal. It was premiered on Netflix on January 12, 2018. Each episode is shown as Rosenthal touring the cuisine of different featured cities.
- India’s Frontier Railways by BBC Four, Rajesh Shinde and Gerry Troyna
Here are some links to checkout more travel show recommendations:
- Travel shows on Netflix.
- Here are some Indian travel series for you all.
- Here’s a fun list of few underrated but amazing travel shows.
3. Read Travel Books
Traveling through reading books is something every book nerd loves, and even if you’re not an avid reader, but wish to start reading and also get your dosage of travel, these are really fun options to start and undoubtedly one of the best ways you can travel from home.
You can choose from books focusing on your travel bucket-list or pick up a book about some place you’ve never heard of. For instance, I remember reading Khaled Hosseini’s ‘The Kite Runner’ and also ‘A Thousand Splendid Suns’ both set in Afghanistan, and finding it a very fascinating and intriguing. European cities and towns are also some places I’ve enjoyed reading about.
Here are few books about travel you should have on your list:
- “Eat Pray Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert
- “Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel” by Rolf Potts
- “Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found” by Cheryl Strayed
- “On the road” by Jack Kerouac
- “The Geography of Bliss” by Eric Weiner
- “I’m a Stranger Here Myself” by Bill Bryson
- “The Art of Travel” by Alain de Botton
- “The Four Hour Work Week” by Timothy Ferris
- “Unlikely Destinations” by Tony and Maureen Wheeler
- “A Year in the World” by Frances Mayes
4. Plan your next Trip on Pinterest
As we all might have travel bucket-lists and places we dream of visiting sometime, what best time than now to go ahead and make some of those plans! Pinterest is one of the best tools you can use to plan them out by making dedicated pinterest boards for those places.
Pinterest is full of amazing articles and all sorts of ideas so that you can make your next trip post-corona an amazing and special one.
5. Travel themed Home Decor
Being stuck at home and facing the uncertain situations, here’s something that will cheer you up while freshening up your home. I bet this will prove to be a really fulfilling project for you guys.
Following are some ways you can incorporate travel themed decor ideas or pieces in your home and spaces:
- You can dedicate a corner or wall in your home and convert it into a travel area. You can choose to display all your past travel memories and souvenirs.
- Another thing you can do is to frame some of your favorite travel photos or you can even make it an art project and paint some of your favorite cities or moments.
- Checkout some more fun travel decor ideas here.
6. Enjoy a Staycation at Home
Now that staying at home is the safest option all of us have these days, why not make the best of this time. You can enjoy all of the above mentioned points in this blog post to have a lovely stay-cation, i.e. a kind of vacation by staying at home.
Following are some more ways you can do a fun stay-cation alone or your with your loved ones.
- Plan a fun smoothie night, and enjoy it with a movie or a favorite show of yours.
- Enjoy a weekend brunch with your loved ones, make it a happy little picnic indoors.
- Go back to your hobbies and create some art, or diy’s items or home decor.
- Learn some new skills or do various online courses on various of the online portals that are offering free or paid webinars and courses.
Those were our tips on the best ways you can travel from home in this corona-virus pandemic. It won’t be too long till we get to travel out in the world again, and we hope for some safe and bright times in the future.
With the above ideas you can feed your hunger for travel, along with learning and experiencing something new from the comforts of your homes. Hope you try these ideas and they help make these difficult times a little bit easier for you and all of us.
What are you doing in this time to make it worth-while? What projects have you been working on? Let us know in the comments below or write to us.